We’ve been inundated with rain and downright dreariness for what seems like weeks. Couple that with a cold virus, sinus infections and the flu, and you have a serious need for soup. This Chicken Lime Soup is my favorite for so many reasons! First, the flavor… Second, the ease of preparation… third & last, the endless options for ingredients and fixings.
If you need a pick-me-up that will rival a trip to Cabo san Lucas (ok- that might be a bit of a stretch), this is the recipe for you.
Chicken Lime Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken, deboned
- 1 small to medium onion (yellow or white), chopped
- Bell pepper (red, green or a combination of both), chopped
- Chile peppers (serrano, jalepeno or a combination of both), chopped & seeded
- Garlic cloves (1 to 3, to taste), minced
- Limes (to taste) and lime zest from one lime (zest optional)
- Can of rotel (Original, mild or hot- your preference)
- 2 boxes of chicken broth
- Can of corn (optional)
- Spicy Green Rice (optional)
- Flour tortillas + salt, pepper, seasonings to taste
*Other additions that taste great if you have them on hand are: fresh cilantro, several bay leaves, fresh sliced tomatoes, a sprinkle of chili powder… whatever you like!
- Saute onion and peppers (bell peppers and chile) until softened.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add can of rotel to mixture and heat through.
- Add zest from one lime (optional) and juice from one lime.
- Add chicken broth and the meat from a rotisserie chicken.
- Add can of corn (optional).
- Add salt, pepper and your favorite seasonings blends as well as extra lime juice to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for several hours or until ready to eat!
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Slice flour tortillas into 1/2 wide inch strips. Coat with Olive Oil spray, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Splash with lime juice.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet in a flat layer.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, checking occasionally & flipping once. Tortillas are finished cooking when they are lightly browned. Let them cool & harden for about 5 minutes before serving.
Spoon rice into a bowl (optional- recipe here) and cover with Chicken Lime Soup. Serve with sour cream, sliced avocados, mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips and garnish with lime.